Maldivians on travel ban over hotel death released on bail
June 27, 2012 11:19 am
A Sri Lankan Court has lifted the travel ban on the six Maldivians and a woman from Madagascar held from leaving the country following the death of Mohamed Midhshah, 37 who plunged to his death from the eighteenth floor of Hotel in Colombo on June 14.
Sri Lankan Police Spokesperson Sajeewa Medawatte detailed last night that
the seven people had been released on a bail of RS1.5 million while
conditioning their mandatory presence for the next hearing of the trial.
“All were released as a brother of one was willing to take responsibility for all of them. He is resident here in Sri Lanka. As the travel ban had been lifted by the court, all their passports have been duly returned,” Sajeewa added.
Sajeewa also revealed that the two Sri Lankan women present in the room where Midhshah fell had also been released on bail. The two women held over allegations of prostitution would be required to pay RS50,000 each as bail, he added.
Spokesperson detailed that the preliminarily postmortem report had been submitted, but added that a way to proceed with the case would only be decided once the final report is received.
Sajeewa further said that the final report is expected to be received in one and a half months and the next hearing would be held after the final report is ready.
According to the present schedule, the next hearing on the trial of Midhshah’s death would be held on September 10 where all of the seven people must be present, he said, Haveeru reports.