Diamond swallowed by Chinese man was fake - Police

Diamond swallowed by Chinese man was fake - Police

September 11, 2012   05:43 pm

A Chinese man accused of swallowing a diamond worth Rs. 1.8 million at a gem show in Colombo actually ingested a fake stone in an elaborate bluff to allow the real thief to escape, police said today.

Detectives discovered the ruse after waiting until the man, 32, passed the fake stone that he had swallowed at the Facets Sri Lanka annual jewellery exhibition in Colombo last week.

The man with the real stone vanished while all the attention was on the man who was seen swallowing a stone that turned out to be fake, police spokesman SP Ajith Rohana said.

Investigations are now underway to track down the accomplice and recover the stolen diamond.

Police said the man appeared to swallow a tiny 1.5-carat diamond - creating a distraction as the stall owner shouted to nearby police who arrested him.


Disclaimer: All the comments will be moderated by the AD editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or slanderous. Please avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment and avoid typing all capitalized comments. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by flagging them(mouse over a comment and click the flag icon on the right side). Do use these forums to voice your opinions and create healthy discourse.

Most Viewed Video Stories

Sri Lanka's health officials warn of surge in rabies cases linked to cats (English)

Sri Lanka's health officials warn of surge in rabies cases linked to cats (English)

New courts are set up to expedite court proceedings - Justice Minister Harshana Nanayakkara (English)

AI infrastructure is next frontier of economic, cultural cooperation - President at AI summit in India (English)

Ada Derana Lunch Time News Bulletin 12.00 pm

IMF chief meets PM Harini; Commends efforts to stabilise economy (English)

President Anura Kumara holds talks with US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor in Delhi (English)

Thalatha Athukorala claims govt. refuses to take accountability for security failure (English)

Former Secretary to the President Saman Ekanayake granted bail (English)