Lost decades of civil war must now be left behind - British MP
March 22, 2013 04:51 pm
The international community has been clear once again that the lost decades of civil war and brutality in Sri Lanka must now be left behind, said British MP Douglas Alexander, commenting on last night’s vote of the UN Human Rights Council.
“But to allow all sides of the conflict who have lost friends and family members to move forward peacefully, the Sri Lankan Government must now take meaningful action on reconciliation and accountability,” the Labour Party’s Shadow Foreign Secretary said in a statement on Friday .
“I have called previously on the British government to use the prospect of the forthcoming commonwealth meeting in Colombo to encourage the Sri Lankan government to now meet its clear international obligations.
“The Foreign Office must urgently raise with the Sri Lankan government the need for a full, independent, international investigation into the allegations of war crimes committed by all parties,” he said.
“But to allow all sides of the conflict who have lost friends and family members to move forward peacefully, the Sri Lankan Government must now take meaningful action on reconciliation and accountability,” the Labour Party’s Shadow Foreign Secretary said in a statement on Friday .
“I have called previously on the British government to use the prospect of the forthcoming commonwealth meeting in Colombo to encourage the Sri Lankan government to now meet its clear international obligations.
“The Foreign Office must urgently raise with the Sri Lankan government the need for a full, independent, international investigation into the allegations of war crimes committed by all parties,” he said.
