Methsiri loses Galle mayorship again
May 8, 2015 01:29 pm
The Court of Appeals today annulled the Galle High Court’s decision to invalidate the gazette notification issued to remove Methsiri de Silva as Mayor of Galle Municipal Council.
Methsiri was removed from the post through a gazette notification issued by the Chief Minister of the Southern Province Shan Wijayalal de Silva on January 23, 2013.
Methsiri had subsequently filed a motion with the Galle High Court challenging his removal from the post of the Mayor and seeking an order of Certiorari and Mandamus making his removal null and void.
In June last year, the Galle High Court annulled the gazette notification, thereby ordering the reinstating of Methsiri de Silva as Mayor.
However, the Chief Minister had moved the Court of Appeals, which delivered its verdict on the matter today.
Southern Province CM Shan Wijayalal de Silva says that accordingly the gazette notification issued by him removing Methsiri as Mayor would come into affect once again.
Wijeyalal said that he used the powers vested in him as the Chief Minister and removed Methsiri de Silva from the post of Mayor based on the allegations of administrative and financial irregularities against the latter.
Meanwhile it is reported that Kelum Seneviratne, who serves as Deputy Mayor of the UPFA-controlled Galle Municipal Council, is likely to receive the post of Mayor.