header logo
SLIC
Rhythms of Lanka
Latest
National carrier corrects misinformed facts presented at media briefing
Oct 23, 201601:43 PM
National carrier corrects misinformed facts presented at media briefing
Mobitel inner 1278

The staff members of Mihin Lanka, who do not have the opportunity to join the national carrier, will be given a service severance package in alignment with specified government guidelines, SriLankan Airlines said in a statement today.

 


So far recruitment processes have been completed for a total of 130 (out of a total of 304) employees of Mihin Lanka. This recruitment and redeployment process is expected to continue until Mihin Lanka’s closure in December, the statement added.

 


The statement further said, “In regards to recently published reports in the media, the management of SriLankan Airlines and Mihin Lanka would like to correct some misinformed facts presented at the media briefing held recently.

 


It was decided to discontinue the services of Mihin Lanka, with effect from 30th October 2016. This decision has been made by the Government of Sri Lanka, as part of its long-term strategy to restructure the local aviation industry and strengthen the national carrier’s offering and efficiency. Mihin Lanka had been making a net loss since its inception in 2007. Projections for the current financial year ending 31st March 2017 were also declared as a net loss.  All routes in Mihin Lanka’s route network, will now be serviced by SriLankan Airlines thus marking a new beginning for the national carrier and building a strong, efficient and competitive airline that will be a force to be reckoned with in the region.

 


In regards to concerns about employment, the management of SriLankan Airlines has advised that due to the business operations of Mihin Lanka coming to an end on 31st December 2016, the airline envisaged that several staff members would be made redundant. Foreseeing this development ahead of time, the airline made elaborate plans for the redeployment of Mihin Lanka staff. So far recruitment processes have been completed for a total of 130 (out of a total of 304) employees of Mihin Lanka. This recruitment and redeployment process is expected to continue until Mihin Lanka’s closure in December and all staff members who do not have the opportunity to join the national carrier, will be given a service severance package in alignment with specified government guidelines.

 


This media briefing came in the light of many open dialogues between the airline’s staff and management which took place at Mihin Lanka’s head office recently. The meetings were held to discuss employee concerns regarding their employment, compensation and the airline’s amalgamation with the national carrier, which is currently underway. Mihin Lanka would like to reiterate that the meetings were conducted in a cordial and professional manner, without hostility and with the full cooperation of all parties involved.

 


The management team spent a great deal of time addressing each staff member’s concerns and explained that SriLankan Airlines had already incorporated several members of Mihin Lanka’s workforce cadre into its employee network. The management of the airline also reassured staff members that as many Mihin Lanka staff as possible will be absorbed. Accordingly details of the compensation package have been shared with all members of staff at Mhin Lanka.”

 

 

 

MostRead
Mobitel 1278
VideoStories
Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

 "Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

"Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

 BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

 22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

 Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

 “Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

“Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

Don’t be arrogant. Pay attention to the concerns raised by Chief Prelates” — Sajith tells Govt.

 Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

Can India and Pakistan find common ground ? - Pakistan High Commissioner in Colombo on Hyde Park

 Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

Sri Lanka Navy vessel located on seabed off Angulana after hours-long search by specialist divers

 Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

Sri Lanka Entrepreneurs Night 2026 held in Melbourne; Australia-based Lankans urged to invest in SL

 Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

Warm weather advisory issued for several districts; Drought ravages farmlands across the county

 72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

72-hour detention order issued against drug trafficker Shiran Basik

Lassana Flora