header logo
SLIC
Rhythms of Lanka
Latest
Second attack planned to follow Easter bombings, investigations reveal
Apr 19, 202004:57 PM
Second attack planned to follow Easter bombings, investigations reveal
Mobitel inner 1278

Investigations have revealed that a second attack had been planned following the 2019 Easter Sunday bombings, said Police Media Spokesman SP Jaliya Senaratne.

 

The Police Media Spokesman, holding a special press conference at the Department of Government Information today (19), said that according to investigations, a second-tier team had been recruited and trained for another attack to follow the Easter attacks.

 

However, the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has been able to thwart those plans through their investigations, the Spokesman added.
 
As per previous investigations, Zahran Hashim’s team had divided and a portion parted ways, while Hashim’s team continued to plan and carry out the attacks. However, the latest investigations have revealed that the division of the team was fabricated to misguide intelligence units and mislead investigations.

 

Currently, 197 suspects have been arrested in connection to the attacks. Some suspects have established, led and funded organizations that misinterpreted Islam and spread extremist ideas among youth to create a second-tier team, said Senaratne. The suicide bombers who carried out the attack had also been directly involved in this process, he said.

 

Information has been uncovered on individuals who have aided, abetted and prompted such plans and investigations are carried out along this new information, according to Senaratne.

 

It has also been revealed that foreign nationals, too, have been involved in the process, he added.
Further, information has been recovered that there had been plans to hide some foreign nationals in Sri Lanka after they carry out an attack against a certain South Asian country, said Senaratne.

 

Responding to a journalist’s query regarding the arrest of a lawyer, the Media Spokesman clarified that the aforementioned suspect was not arrested over a telephone conversation with a client, as per certain social media posts. Senaratne said that relevant suspect was arrested with sufficient facts and evidence and that the Police completely reject accusation made through social media.

 

He further said that the CID has not carried out investigations targeting a certain person or a profession. All investigations are based on sufficient facts, information and evidence with legal validity, he added.

 

 

 

 

MostRead
Mobitel 1278
VideoStories
“Sri Lanka a promising partner for shared growth”  - Indonesian Ambassador to Sri Lanka

“Sri Lanka a promising partner for shared growth” - Indonesian Ambassador to Sri Lanka

Veteran lyricist Ven. Rambukana Siddhartha Thero  laid to rest today

Veteran lyricist Ven. Rambukana Siddhartha Thero laid to rest today

Public pay final respects to the late Nanda Malini Final rites tomorrow

Public pay final respects to the late Nanda Malini Final rites tomorrow

Petitions filed challenging constitutionality of  22nd Amendment Bill increase to 13

Petitions filed challenging constitutionality of 22nd Amendment Bill increase to 13

 Legendary Sri Lankan singer Dr. Nanda Malini passes away at 82

Legendary Sri Lankan singer Dr. Nanda Malini passes away at 82

UN receives public petition against alleged mistreatment of Suresh Sallay

UN receives public petition against alleged mistreatment of Suresh Sallay

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Former President Ranil’s facts, data and interpretations are incorrect - Minister Anil Jayantha

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

Health officials warn public that prolonged heat exposure could be fatal

 "Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

"Sri Lanka faces new economic crisis after 2028"; Former President Ranil Wickremesinghe warns

 BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

BASL challenges 22A before SC; calls for full bench to examine the constitutionality of the bill

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

Govt. ready for public referendum if ordered by SC, 22A Parliament debate in Sept. or Oct. – Nalinda

 22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

22nd Amendment tabled in Parliament by Justice Minister amidst strong opposition

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

Bank officials nabbed over US$ 1B Undiyal scheme; Court hears how dollars were transferred overseas

 Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

Search continues for missing sailor at Angulana coast for third day; Vessel recovery also delayed

 “Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

“Call an election soon or popularity could fall further” Opposition on Govt.’s falling popularity

Lassana Flora