Parliamentary Council ratifies Presidentís nominees for independent commissions
December 3, 2020 05:32 pm
The Parliamentary Council has approved the nominations presented by the President for five independent commissions.
Chaired by Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena, the Parliamentary Council was convened at the Parliament this evening (03).
The President’s nominees for the Election Commission, Public Services Commission, National Police Commission, Finance Commission and Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery and Corruption (CIABOC) were thereby approved by the Parliamentary Council.
One of its representatives told Ada Derana that recommendations for nominees for the Human Rights Commission and the Delimitation Commission are expected to be submitted in the future.
Accordingly, the new chairpersons for five independent commissions, approved by the Parliamentary Council are as follows:
• Former Election Commission Director (Legal) Attorney-at-Law Nimal G. Punchihewa – Election Commission
• Retired Supreme Court Judge Jagath Balapatabendi – Public Services Commission
• Former IGP Chandra Fernando – National Police Commission
• Retired Supreme Court Judge Eva Wanasundera – Bribery Commission
• Former Finance Ministry Secretary Sumith Abeysinghe – Finance Commission