Forest Conservation Dept addresses reports on deforestation
April 7, 2021 05:29 pm
The Department of Forest Conservation says that the reports of a hotel being constructed within the Sinharaja Forest Reserve are baseless.
The Department stated that the hotel construction in question is located 5-kilometers aerial distance away from the Sinharaja World Heritage site.
Issuing a statement, the Forest Conservation department had addressed 09 cases where media reports claimed of deforestation and environmental destruction.
One of the points clarified has been regarding the alleged construction of a hotel being built in Sinharaja.
The remaining 08 controversies addressed by the Department are as follows:
- Environmental destruction caused by the Upper Elahera project
- Deforestation of Hinidum Kanda reserve
- Environmental destruction in Kegalle Kitulgala Dotaluwa
- Unauthorized revelations in the Kantale Chunnakadu reserve
- Mahaweli Authority of Sri Lanka granting of a portion of the proposed Galwalayaya forest reserve in Ampara to investors for - Rambaken Oya
- Cutting down the mangroves in the Ambakandawila reserve and constructing a road to access a prawn farm
- Report on the cleared areas in Sinharaja Forest Reserve
- Statement made by Pubudu Jagoda of the Frontline Socialist Party on 05.04.2021.