Explosion inside residence at Kottawa; gas leak suspected

Explosion inside residence at Kottawa; gas leak suspected

November 25, 2021   01:56 pm

An explosion, suspected to have been caused by gas leakage, is reported at a residence in Kottawa, Pannipitiya.

The incident took place early this morning (November 25), the police said.

The house was severely damaged in the explosion, however, no casualties were reported.

During the past month, several explosions were reported at two restaurants in Weligama and Colombo 07 as well as at a bakery in Ratnapura.

The most recent incident was reported at a restaurant belonging to an international franchise located on the ground floor of the Race Course building on Reid Avenue, Colombo. It was gutted in a fire that erupted at around 5.30 a.m. on November 20.

Following inspections by the Government Analyst, the root cause of the explosions was revealed to be gas leaks. Although no fatalities were reported, the close timing of these incidents gave rise to concerns among the public.

Against this backdrop, former Executive Director of the Consumer Affairs Authority (CAA) Thushan Gunawardena blamed the gas companies for the recent kitchen explosions. He alleged that the incidents were a result of the change in the propane to butane ratio of domestic cylinders.

Denying the allegations that it has released substandard gas cylinders to the market, Litro Gas Lanka Limited assured the public that no changes were made to its LP gas composition.

Disclaimer: All the comments will be moderated by the AD editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or slanderous. Please avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment and avoid typing all capitalized comments. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by flagging them(mouse over a comment and click the flag icon on the right side). Do use these forums to voice your opinions and create healthy discourse.

Most Viewed Video Stories

How to prepare for new COVID variant Omicron?

How to prepare for new COVID variant Omicron?

Derana wins several awards at 2021 State Television Awards

Gas cylinders have not exploded anywhere - Laugfs chairman

LIVE🔴Ada Derana Prime Time News Bulletin 6.55 pm

Person hospitalised after accidental contact with high voltage power line

Tune in at 6.55pm for Ada Derana main news bulletin on TV Derana

'Talk With Chathura' wins award for most outstanding talk show programme

Laugfs chairman speaks on gas cylinder explosions