Emergency relief measures offered to Sri Lankans will be in place through December, Starlink confirms
November 30, 2025 02:43 pm
Starlink announced emergency relief measures for communities in Indonesia and Sri Lanka devastated by severe flooding triggered by Cyclone Ditwah.
The company said it is providing free service to all new and existing customers in the affected regions through December 2025, as both countries struggle with rising death tolls and widespread damage.
Starlink said it is working with the Indonesian government to rapidly deploy terminals and restore connectivity in the hardest-hit parts of Sumatra, where infrastructure has been severely impacted. It is also coordinating with Sri Lankan authorities to extend additional support as the nation battles continued disruption.
For active customers, free service credits are being automatically applied, requiring no action. Suspended or paused customers will also receive credits, allowing them to reactivate their connections immediately.
New customers in the impacted zones will be eligible for free service after activation and must submit a support ticket citing “Indonesia Flood Support” or “Sri Lanka Flood Support.” Credits can be viewed in the billing section of user accounts.
The relief announcement comes as the human toll from the disaster climbs sharply.
Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency reported that the death count from floods and landslides in Sumatra has surged to 303, up from an earlier 174.
The region, along with parts of Malaysia and Thailand, has endured a week of cyclone-fueled torrential rain, including a rare tropical storm forming in the Malacca Strait.
Across the strait, Thailand has also been hit hard. The government said deaths in the country’s southern provinces have risen to 162, compared with 145 previously.
Source: CNBC TV
--Agencies
