Special flag to be prepared to use at festivals, instead of national flag
May 24, 2015 10:53 am
The Cabinet of Ministers have approved a proposal made by the Ministry of Home Affairs to appoint a committee to prepare an officially accepted decoration flag that can be used at festivals by the government as well as the general public, the government’s official news portal said in a statement.
The Ministry has also instructed the Legal Department to formulate necessary legal framework to make the existing set of regulations as Laws of the country in order to prevent the misuse and dishonouring of the National Flag.
“It has been observed that the National Flag of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka is being used in contrary to the codes of regulations approved by the Cabinet of Ministers in the year 1986 and national flags not prepared in accordance with the standards proclaimed by the Sri Lanka Standards Institutions are being introduced to the market,” the statement further said.
The Committee to design a decorative flag will consist of the following members
• Secretary, Ministry of Home Affairs - Chairman
• Secretary, Ministry of Public Administration - Member
• Secretary, State Ministry of Cultural Affairs - Member
• Secretary, Ministry of Education - Member
• Representative of the Vexillological Association of Sri Lanka
• Representative of flag Research Center of Sri Lanka - Member