Lankan family who sheltered in Hong Kong at risk of being deported

Lankan family who sheltered in Hong Kong at risk of being deported

December 18, 2016   11:08 am

The Sri Lankan asylum seekers who sheltered the American whistle-blower Edward Snowden in Hong Kong might be at risk of detention and deportation as their lawyer was not able to meet a final deadline imposed by the Immigration Department to file documents.


Robert Tibbo, a Canadian barrister who provided legal advice to Snowden when he was in the city in 2013, said 30 of his cases had been reactivated at the same time after at least two years of inactivity, leaving him unable to cope with the workload given his other work commitments.


“I understand I have been particularly targeted. They all know I have 30 cases that have been held in limbo and now this happens,” Tibbo said.


“To me this is a clear-cut strategy by the Hong Kong government to defeat my client cases by avoiding even looking at the merits of them. It is a grossly unfair procedure.”


This comes as a group of lawyers in Montreal is campaigning for the asylum seekers who helped Snowden in Hong Kong to be resettled in Canada. They housed the former US intelligence contractor for about two weeks back in 2013, shortly after he leaked classified documents that showed the extension of mass online surveillance by the American and other governments.


Tibbo was first asked on October 12 to file supplementary claim forms, in which additional grounds for claim could be stated for Supun Thilina Kellapatha and Nadeeka Dilrukshi Nonis, a couple from Sri Lanka. The final deadline was December 14.


The lawyer said he also missed the deadline for their two children. Papers filed by protection claimants usually include their personal history, the threats faced in their home countries and updates on their nations’ security situation.


Tibbo’s request to file all documents by the end of January was rejected by the Immigration Department.


An immigration officer said in a letter about Supun’s case that the duty’s lawyer schedule was “not a reasonable excuse for any further delay in the submission” of supplementary claim forms.


The officer continued: “We consider ample time and reasonable opportunities have been given to him [the claimant] to complete the supplementary claim forms and to seek advice from his legal representative.” Failing to do so, the officer noted, “his claim will be treated as withdrawn”.


Tibbo said that in such cases the government had the right to arrest and deport the claimant.


Vanessa Mae Rodel, a Filipino asylum seeker who has a four-year-old daughter, will soon be in a similar situation.


-scmp
-Agencies

Disclaimer: All the comments will be moderated by the AD editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or slanderous. Please avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment and avoid typing all capitalized comments. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by flagging them(mouse over a comment and click the flag icon on the right side). Do use these forums to voice your opinions and create healthy discourse.

Most Viewed Video Stories

President to appoint expert committee to oversee education reforms – Minister Anura Karunatilaka (English)

President to appoint expert committee to oversee education reforms – Minister Anura Karunatilaka (English)

Disrespect to religions challenge the constitution - Opposition Leader Sajith (English)

Several areas and roads inundated due to persistent rainfall across island (English)

Sri Lankan man jailed for life in UK after killing wife in a car park (English)

LIVE🔴 Ada Derana Prime Time News Bulletin 6.55 pm

🔴LIVE | Ada Derana Midday Prime News Bulletin

President Anura Kumara holds bilateral talks with Indian PM Modi in Delhi (English)

Parliamentary Pensions (Repeal) Act published in government gazette (English)